Alnwick Castle is England’s second largest inhabited castle – only Windsor Castle is larger. This well-preserved castle has been home to the Dukes of Northumberland for almost 700 years and was used as a location for television shows like Downton Abbey as well as several films including Elizabeth and the Harry Potter films. The castle features paintings by Canaletto, Titian and Van Dyck and there is a Regimental Museum in the Abbot’s Tower.
- Alnwick Castle, Alnwick, Northumberland NE66 1NQ
- Telephone (01665) 511 100
- Website www.alnwickcastle.com
- Admission £14.75 (£14 when purchased online 24 hours in advance)
- Open 27 Mar–1 Nov 10am–5pm daily